Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Labor of Love

I grew San Marzano Tomatoes.

I grew them from seed.

I lost a lot to blossom end rot.

I still managed to harvest a healthy colander full.

I washed them lovingly.

I sliced them in half and put them on a sheet tray.

I sprinkled them with salt, pepper and a generous slurp of extra virgin olive oil.

I gave them just the tiniest kiss of sugar, some herbs and a crushed garlic clove.

I roasted them in a low oven until their juices ran and their skins loosened.

I ran them through a fine strainer to get the most blazingly red and deliciously sweet puree.

I put the puree in a pot and cooked it with vinegar, sugar, celery salt, clove, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

I cooked it for an hour, all the time tasting, seasoning and re-seasoning.

When it tasted perfect, I put it in a bowl to cool.

The result?  A scant quarter cup of homemade ketchup.

Not exactly bountiful.


Was it worth it? Yup.

Would I do it again?

In a heartbeat.








2 comments:

  1. I made fresh squeezed lemonade for myself and homemade applesauce for E last week. I also de-seeded 4 pomegranates which took about 2 hours...but good gracious it was all delicious. Homemade ketchup is next on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally - my suggestion if you want to dip more than a single chicken nugget...lots of tomatoes.
    Homemade applesauce is the most comforting food to me. Love it. I am ruined for ever opening another jar. Let me know how your ketchup shenanigans go.

    ReplyDelete